Saturday, August 28, 2021

Deconstructing - Wait for the Lord

As a young mother, I thought that if I trained my children in the way they should go, they would never walk off the right path. (See Proverbs 22:6) 

I tried my best to do all the right, "mom things." I encouraged them, taught them from the Word, discipled them, held them accountable in love, and lived out the gospel everyday. Yet, two of my four children are not sure about God.  They are wonderful people - compassionate, thoughtful, hardworking, strong, young people, but they have not followed me to Jesus. Yes, they both accepted Jesus as Savior when they were children.  They both listened intently, participated in discussions, went to Bible study, had Christian friends, etc..., and yet...nope - not on fire for Jesus.

You see, the world is a big loud place, and they have always been smart kids.  They saw hypocrisy in the church.  They saw errant treatment of women.  They saw sex abuse scandals, extra-marital affairs, haughty behavior in leadership, exclusive cliques and legalism.  They saw Christians treat homosexuals with contempt, exclusion, and gossip. They watched racism unfold in subtle ways.  Then, they saw folks justifying their behavior, instead of repenting of it and turning to healthier practices and beliefs.

My young adult children are good people - they are responsible and want to make a difference in the world.  While they are in the midst of deconstructing their faith-lives, I do believe that God is yet at work in them.  Yes, the Lord will tear down the improper construction based upon the sins of man (and sinking sand), and will help them build their foundations on solid ground.  Their love and compassion for people is evident.  They are not on the spiritual path that I had hoped for them, but they seem to be forging a path of their own, and I believe that God is with them none-the-less.  

That comforts me. So I will keep doing the mom thing, and prayerfully wait upon the Lord. 

"Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!" Psalm 27:14

Grateful for grace,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creaky gate? Noisy Gong? Nope...I know your words will be thoughtful and kind! Thanks for taking the time to comment!