Sunday, August 2, 2015

Rain

The rain pounds the roof as I write.  The waterfall so heavy that its trail carves canyons in the garden leaving roots exposed, as it searches for a place to rest.  Out of the window, I see the earth refuse the rain. Having been saturated from daily downpours, the dirt has had enough.  The water hemorrhages into the canyons with nowhere to go.  Garden life scurries up the walls looking for relief - any tiny patch of dry.

All this, and I feel like I see my heart in the sodden earth and in the desperation of garden life.  Living is like that sometimes.  This past week has brought hard circumstances and while I know this patch of existence is being used to refine hearts, I default to refusal. No, I don't want my loved ones to suffer.  No, I don't want to be overwhelmed and in need of God. I don't want this storm. "Rain, rain, go away."  

Sighs...

I know better. Really, I do. I need the whipping winds and torrential downpours.  It is in the storm that I am reminded that I am not enough.  I can't save myself or anyone else. I need hard times which expose my sin and drive me to seek the shelter and safety of Christ - my Rock. He alone, is my Savior. 

I remember now.  The sun will shine again.  The earth will dry.  New life will sprout.  We can rest in the storm.  Grace is with us.  Hope is on the horizon.

"Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." ~Romans 5:2-5

So grateful for grace,








No comments:

Post a Comment

Creaky gate? Noisy Gong? Nope...I know your words will be thoughtful and kind! Thanks for taking the time to comment!