Thursday, March 31, 2016

Separate, Yet Unified in Christ

If anyone asks, I'm the black sheep, not my friend. She's the white sheep, though, she probably would not agree.  Okay, so never-mind, we're both the black sheep.

My heart has been heavy.  Life has changed.  What I thought would happen, didn't.  There was not going to be a happily ever after for two young people, and then a friendship that I thought was going to be, "forever and always," stopped working.

My friend and I could no longer connect for reasons that are no one's fault. It just seems that we found ourselves in a place where we no longer understood each other.

God has reminded me of Acts 15.  In verses 36-39, the Word talks about Paul and Barnabus having a disagreement. Paul wanted to journey to all the churches that he had proclaimed the Word of God. Barnabus suggested that John Mark join them, but Paul didn't feel that John Mark was ready.   Their disagreement was so great that they separated in order that they might continue the work of Christ. The Word doesn't say who was right or wrong.  Maybe, they were both a little right and a little wrong? Remarkably, Paul later commended both Barnabus and Mark in other epistles. There was neither remorse, nor bitterness.  They were dealt a difficult circumstance, and notably, they both looked to Jesus. They had to separate, yet in Him, they had unity.

Like Paul and Barnabus, my friend and I are on our own missionary journeys (though on a smaller scale) and God seems to be calling us to separate for a time.  I miss her. There is a big empty spot in my life right now.  I miss my friend's sense of humor, the little nuggets of wisdom she shared at just the right moments, and our general mom camaraderie. She was an encouragement and a blessing.  I wish her goodness, and love, and grace and so much laughter.  I'm grateful for what we had, and I have every hope that, in Jesus, we have unity. I will never stop praying for her.  She is much more than a friend to me.  She is my sister because of Jesus, and our story isn't over, because we serve a God whose name is Redeemer.

For you are our Father,
    though Abraham does not know us,
    and Israel does not acknowledge us;
you, O Lord, are our Father,
    our Redeemer from of old is your name.  Isaiah 63:16


There have been tears, but I believe with all my heart that one day, we will laugh again. Sometimes losses are necessary and unavoidable.  I wish we could have our heaven on earth now, but I'm learning to wait with hope.


Always grateful for grace,





No comments:

Post a Comment

Creaky gate? Noisy Gong? Nope...I know your words will be thoughtful and kind! Thanks for taking the time to comment!