Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Words Matter



Words matter. The words we use at home influence the next generation and literally become their inward playlist.

When I was a child, someone I loved called me "an idiot," on a regular basis. It was devastating. To this day, when I get upset with myself, the first thought that races through my mind is, "You are an idiot." This is a lie from Satan, and it hurts me that it came to me through someone who was supposed to protect me.

I'm grown up now, and I have the Holy Spirit to help me take those thoughts captive, but it's not easy. It's a pervasive playlist stuck on auto-play. I'm deeply grateful for the grace Jesus has given me to capture the lies of my past and to rest in His truth.

Friends, your words matter. Your words either serve Jesus or the enemy of your soul, Satan. Once words are spilled they can never be taken back - they are a gift that keeps on giving. Make a decision today, that your words will bring blessing and not harm.

"Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips." Psalm 141:3
"Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving; praying at the same time for us as well, that God will open up to us a door for the word, so that we may speak forth the mystery of Christ, for which I have also been imprisoned; that I may make it clear in the way I ought to speak.
Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity. Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person." ~Colossians 4:2-6
Grateful for grace,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creaky gate? Noisy Gong? Nope...I know your words will be thoughtful and kind! Thanks for taking the time to comment!