Sunday, April 23, 2017

Bloom Where You Are Planted



Earlier this year, I made the decision to apply to college to begin a program in social work. My youngest daughter is beginning her freshman year in high school, and being that she is an independent student, I knew she wouldn't need me to direct her steps.  In other words, I would have time on my hands.  It was now, or never.  So I chose to go for it.

However, it seems the Lord had other plans.

The week before Christmas we learned that my husband's job was in jeopardy.  The company he worked for began laying off some of it's longer employed workers. My husband watched as employees with with more than ten years of employment were let go.  On January 3rd, it was made official. Chuck was unemployed.

I knew before he received his pink slip that I was going to find a job. I could wrestle with God about why He wouldn't let me have a college education, or I could choose to get on board with His plan.  I won't lie.  I wrestled with the change in direction.  I was angry and frustrated. This had been a dream for a long time, but I knew I had to trust God. I had to take my thoughts captive and root myself in Him.

There was no reason not to go back to work.  My sons were all adults and my daughter was an independent, self-driven student. My desire in obtaining a college education was to help my husband. He has been the sole bread-winner for the past twenty years and it had weighed heavily on him.  I wanted to help him save for our retirement and provide income for a bit of relaxation and fun.  But I also wanted to work from a place of strength by using the gifts and talents God had given me. In addition, I craved the satisfaction of a job well done.  Let's face it.  Motherhood, while personally satisfying, is a thankless and tremendously under-valued job.  I struggled with my faith as I began a job search.  Would God provide a job where I had a purpose and could make a difference?  Could I earn enough income without a degree to make a difference in our family finances?

I applied to countless jobs and I received one inquiry. It was for a busy ophthalmic practice with offices in three locations spread out in thirty miles in every direction.  I felt insecure that I could pick up where I left off twenty years ago.  I had been an ophthalmic medical assistant when I retired to be with my children.  Thirty miles in each direction?  Thankfully, I had an economic car, but could I re-learn all those skills?

I reached out to a friend, an experienced ophthalmic medical assistant.  She encouraged me, and even let me come into the office to practice some of those long lost skills.  Surprisingly, lensometry - the skill that scared me the most, came back quickly.  She lamented that she didn't have a position open for me. I lamented with her.  Returning to my former employer seemed like a comforting option.

My interview with the eye institute went well.  My interviewer talked of skills that were vaguely familiar, but it was twenty years ago. It seemed like I was going to get a second interview, though I  was really nervous and uncertain. I was entirely overwhelmed.  The office manager needed to speak with the doctors and she would get back with me in a week. I didn't want to be a disappointment.  This practice was so different.  They had multi-practitioners in several specialties. There would be much to re-learn and even more to apply.  Could I do all of that so quickly and be up to speed?  I wanted to serve them well, and I wasn't sure I was the right candidate for the position. I also had a serious concern - they didn't want to pay me what I knew I would deserve if I was going to earn certification. I was insecure, but I was not going to undervalue my potential.

Meanwhile, Marietta called.  One of her employees was destined for nursing school and had mentioned that she was overwhelmed with full time work and school.  She asked me if I might consider a job-sharing agreement. I was thrilled. But where was this leading? Twenty hours a week would be great to help my husband, but right now he didn't have a job.  Twenty hours would not support our family, even at a fair wage. After much prayer, I felt that this was God's will.  He had created a path and I just needed to walk it out in trust.

I began worked on January 12th.  By January 16th, I knew that I was right in the middle of God's will. All my skills, came back immediately and I learned new ones.  But most of all, I realized how much I had missed loving and serving our patients.

A month later, my job sharing partner failed her anatomy and physiology test.  She knew she needed more time to study and so she gave her notice.  Marietta wanted to know if I could work full time and because Chuck still hadn't found a job, I said yes.  This must be God's will.  He was continuing to make a way for my family.  I also began to notice that I was using the gifts and talents he had given me for social work - but I was using them in an ophthalmic practice.

On April 12th, I celebrated three months with the Tampa Cataract and Eye Care Center. I am studying for my ophthalmic medical assistant certification and will be eligible to take the examination in July/August. The doctor I work for will be retiring in the next few years and I intend to help him end his career well.

I was in a thrift store yesterday when I looked up to see a planter that read, "Bloom where you are planted."  I smiled. Yes, Lord, thank you.

I am exactly where God wants me.

So grateful for His grace,





No comments:

Post a Comment

Creaky gate? Noisy Gong? Nope...I know your words will be thoughtful and kind! Thanks for taking the time to comment!